Friday 15 January 2010

Whip it

Whip it is a film that I have trouble placing in a category. And I am not talking about genres here, because there is no problem there - this is clearly a perfect example of the notorious vomit genre. The sort of film that is a result of two men in their middle thirties, a whole lot of alcohol and a schmoke or two.

I do not want to be harsh towards the actors and actresses involved because all of us need to eat, right! I am, however, slightly disappointed in Ellen Page, I LOVED her in Juno and do think she can be a brilliant actress, dare I say she already isn't. But I do fail to see the reasoning behind this part selection. Honey, I am sure there are far better films out there that bring out what you are really made of.

I am under no illusion that this film was directed at and by someone still learning to walk. However, with Drew Barrymore finding her feet as a director I ponder whether there are such things as "a born actress" or "a born director." There should be because sometimes, people should simply stay either in front or behind the camera and not wander around somewhere they do not belong.

Turning back to what category I would put this film in and the winner is.... awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment