Thursday 7 January 2010

Adam

Before I start writing this I have to come clean. My friends... I love chick-flicks. Big time. But not the kind that makes the girls in my house whine about how they all "want a boyfriend" (now they only do it because they know it irritates me, but whatever). I like chick-flicks with a twist. Here's a few examples to know what I'm talking about: Spread, The Ugly Truth, 500 Days of Summer.

Anyhow, this film intrigued me. Boy meets girl. Boy falls for girl. Girl falls for boy. Boy has Asperger's. Sorry? Yeah, wake up call miss "I want a boyfriend"! Life isn't all roses and butterflies. People see things in a whole different way and that is why Hugh Dancy's acting impressed me - he was able to convey that in a way that was clear enough to get the message across but subtle enough not to ruin it. Many of the things his character said and did made me think about our lives and how much of it is lies. Are we really becoming so superficial that amongst all the politeness our real message is lost? Are we unable to tell the people around us what we are thinking because we are too worried about what they might think of us?

Which brings me to my next point. When we say so many polite things, we run out of ways to express sincere emotion, sincere affection when we most wish to express it. On this blog, I have been saying that a lot of films are good just because they have left me with no negatives to point out. So now, when I actually saw a film that was not amazing, that was not bound to go down in film history, that was not superb, but was extremely heart-warming and a lovely watch... I simply... Do not know how to say it. Because there are these other films in the way.

This really is a good (I know, I'm sorry) film and I encourage you to watch it, unless you are the type that needs exploding cars and an average of 5 stabbing and 89 deaths per film in order for it to be "good". In which case you know nothing of cinema and should not watch anything at all... better still - don't even leave your house and chuck your TV out the window. Do that and I promise that I will be more objective with the next reviews I post.

No comments:

Post a Comment