Tuesday 5 January 2010

Law Abiding Citizen

Before you start reading this, I ask that you try to take everything I say with a pinch of salt because I got a lot of love for Gerald Butler. But often as it is, we choose to ride those we love the hardest, so they achieve their full potential. Kind of the case here. Watching it I wondered why monsieur Butler chooses roles of broken men with a bit of roughness to them, someone who has lost someone close. We saw this in P.S. I Love You (loved that film by the way) and also in the Gamer. As he has that look about him which makes such roles suit him so perfectly, I can't help but wish that he did something completely different. Something to really challenge his ability as an actor. For the love of God, it's not like he would ruin his career, should he fail. Not with the kind of looks he's flashing around. Take The Ugly Truth for example... there are always that kind of films as a back-up.

Jamie Foxx? Well, let me tell you that not having seen too much of his stuff, I would have to say he did well. Nothing about his acting that left me with a bitter taste, nothing about it leaving me rallying the troops to go riot an Oscar for him. Not that it would be the kind of caliber film, that would bring home the golden men. Don't get me wrong, I do think it is a good film.

And the thing that really makes it good is the plot. Kurt Wimmer (writer) is undoubtedly bang on and F. Gary Gray (I know, awesome name, right) has done a good job directing. I love comparing the incomparable, so here it is: whilst for Avatar, the plot can be suggested to be the weakest feature - slightly lacking in creativity and choosing raw muscle over wit in trying to hammer home the message - this is completely the opposite. I love a thought provoking film and this definitely is a true-blooded member of that tribe.

However, the plot on its own can't make a film or break it, nor can any other aspect. Similarly, just the ability to put the ball in the basket doesn't make one a good basketball player. There are other aspects of the game that make you a true player, like Brandon Roy or King James. You have to be a solid all-rounder and that is what I think this film is. It is a good solid act, with some stronger aspects and some weaker ones, but just like the fore mentioned players, it will make you remember itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment