Tuesday 26 January 2010

The Invention Of Lying

Before I saw this film, my friend told me it was rubbish, not funny and ridiculous. I have now realised I shouldn't listen to my friends because they don't have a clue what they are saying, even when they are absolutely right.

The film is funny, but not in the conventional way, nor thanks to the plot, which is as absurd as trying to eat your own head. Which, by the way can be achieved upon great practice. I am sure the people who wrote it must have been either extremely bored or extremely intoxicated. Either way, it's awful. The funniest bits were random comments that people made throughout the film that just made you chuckle.

Sadly, I can't say the acting was any better than the plot. Not to take anything away from Ricky Gervais, but even I could play the role of someone taking constant abuse and keeping a straight face through it. It's not rocket-science you know.

Having never been to fond of Jennifer Garner, I must say there was little acting to keep me at the film. It's just her suitability for the quirky-type characters that makes me lose all interest. I'd even be more stimulated by her playing an ass-kicking heroine in some bound-to-fail-attempt-of-a-film like Elektra or the series Alias. The horrors of TV.

Throughout the film I thought about how much we lie every day. At which point, luckily, my companion for the film was kind enough to point out that people can simply withdraw themselves and not say anything at all. That wouldn't be lying. How right she is. I guess I was even more upset at the fact that truth sometimes just isn't romantic at all. Which truly upsets me because I love the truth and prefer it served like a nice salad - cold.

Although the film did turn out to be utter rubbish, I can't help but realise that I had fun watching it and should I find it on TV, I wouldn't mind seeing it again as terrifying as that thought may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment