Tuesday 11 May 2010

Shutter Island

Basically, this is a right mindf*ck of a film. There is no other way to describe it.

I expected it to be one of those supernatural, creepy-lady-with-a-rotting-tongue type films, but I was wrong and I'm glad I was because what it was, was so much better. I am not a fan of scary films as time and again their point seems to evade me completely. Shutter Island surprised me with its wittiness, execution and the lengths to which the plot was thought through to.

However, it was not human testing or mental illnesses that got me thinking, not even Leo's wavy locks managed it this time. How far would we go to believe a beautiful lie over an ugly truth? Being the sort of person that likes his truths served like sushi minus the soy sauce, I struggle with the idea of a life mislead. Ideals can be noble and glorious in their essence, onto which layers of lies are laid, but can we really place a lie at the center of our lives? Yet I find it difficult to blame Teddy Daniels for following his lies through to salvation.

P.S. Make sure you watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment