Thursday 18 February 2010

Trainspotting

So I finally took the time to watch this and to my viewing pleasure, I wasn't disappointed.

Right from the title sequence you get the feeling you aren't in for an easy one and the message will be hit home hard. Brutally, without any need for illustration, but with the full filth that the message carries. It's a story of heroin and the life it induces.

My friend suggested this to me to change my perception of Ewan McGregor that is so far highly influenced by his role in Moulin Rouge. And to his credit, I must say my perception has been changed despite the difficulty of removing the image of the actor singing and dancing away almost maniacally in more than bizarre scenes. Then again, I guess it is difficult to remove such things from your brain, much like any other traumatizing event.

However, in my opinion, it was the dialogue between his narrating and acting which made the role so enjoyable to watch. Words describing the horrors of the mind whilst the actor delivers the cool, almost unconscious state of the addict who is close to losing all contact with the real world. Other names worth mentioning from the cast include Robert Carlyle, who, in comparison with his later roles in the 51st State and The Full Monty has clearly delivered best in Trainspotting.

What really impressed me throughout the film was the certain blurry reality of an addiction-led life, which was conveyed ever so well through screenplay, narration and camerawork. Unconventional and sometimes even obscure camera angles introduced the viewer to the twisted perspective of the characters' lives. The toilet sequence and a few other scenes were a perfect example of the brilliant way the film depicted the transfer of the individual from one state of mind to another. This reminded me of The Science of Sleep where the main character was fluctuating between being awake and being asleep, here Renton was moving from sober to high to sober to high. Well, you get the picture.

I think this film is a perfect depiction of how different the lives and values of addicts are to non-addicts and it digs deep to illustrate the point graphically. This morning I saw a case on the Jeremy Kyle Show where a 40 year old mother bought and smoked heroin with her 14 year old daughter. At which point Ewan's voice keeps saying "choose life" in my head and I keep thinking about what goes on in a person's head who would do such a thing. Is there anything in her head at all? Is she capable of thought?

I'm glad I saw this film and would recommend it if anyone asked me, but if you are going to watch it, make sure you have the right mindset first, because you will be in for a heavy, but enjoyable night.

No comments:

Post a Comment