Monday 22 February 2010

More Than A Game

When I am about to watch a film, I am normally well aware of what I am about to watch. And so I thought this time. I couldn't be further from the truth. Again. Luckily, what I saw was better than what I expected.

I was expecting the story of a bunch of angry kids from a tough neighborhood, playing ball, being rubbish, getting amazing at it, getting cocky, being slapped around by the coach and then missing a last second shot to go down in history, leaving the viewer heartbroken for these boys. So yes, I was expecting to see Coach Carter again.

But this is not a story about basketball, it's a story about people. About relationships and friendship. I was expecting LeBron James to do all the talking and could not have been happier when I found the story being revealed from the perspective of the coach, Dru Joyce II. I was charmed by the line at the end as well, downplaying the role of the superstar in the film. Quote: "Lebron found seasonal work in Cleveland". Understatement of the year.

Another aspect of this film, that I found intriguing and somewhat unlike your typical sports-cinderella story was the humbleness of these people. Call me on this one if you think I am wrong, and I am ignoring the whole Hummer business at this point, but listening to them talk about a life that most of us would see as utopian in a bad way, and still making it sound as the most natural thing in life is what stuns me. I think this is where the balance in the world lies, because some of the players in the NBA get paid sums we would not be able to comprehend. So should a person who has not seen what it is like to own nothing in life be in that position... I would imagine them being the most unpleasant person in the world.

Now, then. Back to the Humvee incident. For a 17-year old "boy" (a word only used because of the relative value of the number, as mentally and physically, the 17-year-old LeBron was more of a man than most 30 year olds) to be on the cover of the SI and still be a part of a team? Unbelievable? I think so. All the attention he got while he was still at school and remained focused on his team and friends. Wow, that is all I can say - wow. I read an article on his pregame routine the other day and I find it interesting that every gameday, he still listens to the song the listened to together as the fab-five and his best friend from the group gets a handshake before any of his teammates once the names have been called out in the arena.

This goes to show that it truly is a film about relationships and things that are more than a game of basketball. However, if this world sports superstar is not someone you take interest in, there is no point in you watching the film. If the opposite is the case, you would be stupid not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment