Tuesday 2 February 2010

My Sister's Keeper

Wow. I think that is an appropriate place to start from. Story of a girl who was conceived so she could donate whatever needed for her sister with leukemia and the chaos within the family caused by her decision not to help her sister and pursue medical emancipation. As you can tell, not the lightest of films so don't expect me to be blasé about it.

First things first though, I absolutely hated Cameron Diaz in this. I hated her with a passion and more often than not, when you hate an actor's/actress' character with a passion it just shows that they have played a good part. And it also happened to be the case here, regardless of my understatement of the year because she truly was brilliant. The rest of the cast did well which is sort of the same as telling a fish it can swim - irrelevant waste of breath. I am, however, excited for Abigail Breslin and am sure to see her career spur off with something perhaps a bit more sophisticated than her latest Zombieland. Even though she fulfilled her role well in that too.

What really pisses me off, though, is the whole time warp scenario. I know I have been over this, but why do directors see the need of doing this? I hope they do realize that it is completely within the realm of possibility to make a brilliant film which has a straightforward timeline. Having said that, I wasn't annoyed by it whilst watching the film. In contrast to the last movie I saw, The Road, I actually felt every "flashback" contributed to the storytelling in a natural way, even though some viewers may find it difficult to follow from time to time. It was not done to the level of ingenuity as in 500 Days of Summer, but it was good.

Lastly, as with such deep films it seems to be the case, it made me think of life. It made me think of the things we cherish in life and what we fight for. Things we are afraid of and what drive us forward. But most of all I thought about death and how wrong most people seem to be about it. Not that I know much about such matters considering my short, 21-year inhabitation of this planet. But what I have learned is that the opposite of death is not life as most people tend to think. It is not life and death, it's birth and death. Those are the opposites and between them is a wonderful thing called life. It doesn't matter how we were born, or how we died, it is how we lived that remains in the hearts of our loved-ones. Long after we are gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment