Wednesday 30 December 2009

2012

I saw this and let me just say I am not impressed. It does happen to be the best catastrophe movie I have ever seen. It also happens to be the only catastrophe movie I have ever seen with the exception of genre mix-ups regarding Cloverfield, War of the Worlds (and other such alien-type movies) and that movie with Will Smith where everyone had become a vampire of some sort. (which I must say I rather enjoyed, somewhat due to the Bob Marley "Three Little Birds" song in the bath scenes) (I am Legend is the title by the way, just remembered). Anyway.

And there is a very good reason for me not generally watching catastrophe movies - they are crap. Let me bring a few examples before you go on to claim me a daft idiot. The car runaway-chase-thing sequence quite at the beginning was simply horrid, not that it was scary, but it was just unbelievably poor. Then there was the bit where he climbed up the edge of the cliff at the Yellowstone airfield - he must have been dead... I mean, surely! Furthermore, at the end, the ark opened its decks and the people went for a wander. I would quite want to meet the designer who decides that as the fate of the human kind depends on his ark he should "add some sunbeds, a pool and maybe a few lilos... you know, give give it a bit of a swing" [in the voice of Eddie Izzard impersonating Sean Connery]. Listen, mate, if there is a huge tsunami coming your way you would want to make your ship as impenetrable and strong as possible and huge lift-up iron curtains sure as hell aren't the way forward.

That is exactly what pisses me off when watching such films. They are not realistic. I'm not going to get down and dirty with the acting, directing, camerawork or soundtrack. Someone I follow on Twitter said that the graphics were amazing and the rest of the film was crap. And he should know his stuff, having done green-screen stuff for the Wolverine etc. Many others agreed on that. I, however, do not.

The fact that I just saw Avatar may have something to do with things, but it just did not do it for me. Yes, it is the graphics I am talking about here. You can say it is much harder to realistically depict people dying under world famous buildings like the Apostolic Palace than make a giant blue dude browse about in wonderland. And fair play to you, that is a valid argument. But I just was not impressed, I can't help it, I wasn't.

So this is what I say: You get dragged into the story... sort of, anyway... but would I watch it again? No. Would I recommend it? No. Would I tell you it was a waste of your time if you did decide to watch it? Well, I simply couldn't care less, but probably, yes! Then again, you are free person in a free country (hopefully), so watch whatever you want and make your own mind up about it rather than taking my word for it. Even though it is the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment