Monday 14 December 2009

Gamer

On my flight to Helsinki I took some time off between naps to finally watch "The Gamer". It's been on my list of films to watch for a very long time and I'm glad to finally get a chance to see it.

The camerawork was splendid and this especially prevailed in the action-scenes as quick shots and rapid camera movement really gave the scenes the feel of uncertainty and urgency of a battle. Well done, guys, it really was an exciting watch.

AS for the plot, I was disappointed and positively surprised at the same time. Having had a glimpse of what the film was about from a trailer, I expected a lot more of the "games" in which Kable (Gerald Butler) would be fighting for his life. Speaking of the man, he did an excellent job and It is good seeing him adapt somewhat well to different roles after "The Ugly Truth". But back to the plot. What I was really impressed by was the way the film conveyed the experience of division within the society and show the dialogue between the ones in control and the controlled.

I found some scenes of the "society" somewhat of bad taste but I guess it was necessary to depict the moral degradation of the mankind once they are given the option of "playing dirty" using another human body and having full control over it. The darkest side of a person with all its suppressed fetishes and cons, which is unleashed in such circumstance is explored and depicted to excellence.

As for the overall feeling i got from the film... well I liked it. It's not anything hugely outstanding and if I had the choice, I would probably not watch it again, as I would with the likes of "Public Enemies", but if a bunch of friends would watch it, I would stay put on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment