Tuesday 15 December 2009

Staying Alive in Jo'burg

I watched a most graphic documentary about the life in Johannesburg and what the city is like await of the 2010 World Cup. I do not have much to say at this point.

The life on the streets was depicted in a true manner and the battle between the people and the government rather visible. The film depicts a world where people rule. By that I mean that people make their own rules: they live in houses they do not own. They constantly break the law just to survive.

What the government is trying to do in order to help them... well, it's just not working because how do you control the uncontrollable. It seemed to me that in that society a person had no value. People were seen as a mass of matter, not identities. Regardless of the efforts of the government, the mass reverts to its ways in an act of prevention against change, which just makes me sad.

What I would take away from the last hour of my life is this: it will be interesting to see the legacy of the 2010 World Cup on the Jo'burg community... but also the place's legacy on the event itself. Will they manage? Right now, I would say no.

Its definitely not the best documentary I've seen, but a very illustrative one. However, not one I would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment