Tuesday 2 March 2010

Valentine's Day

I finally found time to write the review to the film I had been waiting for with great expectations. Luckily for me and all those who are fed up with my complaining, they were met by what can perhaps be best described as a crossbreed between Love Actually and Love Happens. I will explain the reasons for that later.

I was extremely ill-equipped for watching this film having seen the trailer and expecting a straightforward rom-com. Furthermore, I happened to read a review by Mick LaSalle for the San Francisco Chronicle where he makes the case for casting many A-listers as an intrusion of the film's "illusion of reality". Monsieur LaSalle, I thoroughly enjoyed your review, but that paragraph was a complete load of bull. They are actors and actresses, it's their job to remove themselves from the equation and become somebody else.

Speaking of which, looking at the acting through this prism, Jennifer Gardner redeemed herself in my eyes. Those of you who are acquainted with my history with the actress realize what a compliment this is. She escaped the role of the quirky type that suits her so well to deliver a part that was both heartwarming and serious.

I will try to refrain myself from focusing on the cast for too long since there were such good actors/actresses and funny roles, but I will mention two. Firstly, I believe I speak for the whole population of the world capable of appreciating beauty if I say there was a distinct lack of Jessica Alba in terms of screentime. Secondly, and take this with a pinch of salt because I do love the man, I thought Ashton Kutcher has really come to himself with the last films I have seen him in. I don't think Reed achieved the level of deliverance as Nikki in Spread, which - truth be told - wasn't really a film as much as a showcase of the actor's abilities. However, Kutcher's character was, to me, the embodiment of the essence of the film. (and it was cool to see him in the same piece with Topher Grace again)

The essence of the film is where the comparison with Love Happens comes into play. Love Happens was a film that had as much to do with love as a pelican has with an igloo. I thus suggest removing all of the film's claims for the name and add it as a subheading to Valentine's Day because that was what this film is about. It goes to show that you cannot plan love or relationships. You may find the most amazing person but it will not work out and you will be left heartbroken. But all of a sudden, when you least expect it, when you least try... love happens. You realize that the person you are truly comfortable to spend your life with is right there, standing next to you without you ever realizing.

At this point I remember something else Mr. LaSalle said. He claimed the film to be too fake, the people in it too nice and how this would jeopardize the reality of what you see. I agree that the conversations were too nice and it is difficult to find pleasant people like that in the real world. But this niceness is only a few words away from us. All we need to do to make it a reality is open our mouths an be kind to someone.

So when I think of the film as a whole I can't stop thinking about the actual day. Just like the film, the valentine's day is a bit fake, people try too hard, try to force things. Which makes it a bit unnatural. So would I say it is a rubbish film? No, because just like valentine's day, if you get the timing right, the mood right and have someone special to enjoy the occasion with, you will have a really good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment