Monday 5 April 2010

New York I Love You

The weirdest film I have seen in a long time. It was kind of like the show "The Hills" in terms of meaningless fragments of the plot and the rest filled with scenes from the city.

Maybe I'm being harsh here, because I've never been to NY, I don't know, I'm not a doctor. But I know that the so-called plot in the film reminded me more of scribbling on a napkin than script. I bet the guy who wrote this, realised he had a deadline for this, but then took the down payment he received for the script, went and bought a large quantity of weed and disappeared off the face of the earth for about a month. Once reality came calling, he just decided to chuck in random bits and fill the rest in with piano music and shots of buildings.

And another thing. Fair deuce you want to make a film where people's lives cross randomly, but if you stuff your film with conversations developing on the corner of the street it will feel very fake. Because people just aren't like that in real life. I was thinking to myself several times during the film "In real life, at this moment the person would just tell you to f*ck off!" And the truth is that they would, call me a cynic, but they would.

What I did like about this film though was the old couple. "Lift your feet" "I am lifting my feet" "No, you are shuffling" - Brilliant.

Oh, and don't watch this film.

2 comments: