Tuesday 13 April 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Those of you who know me know that I have an obsession with penguins. You also know that I am extremely picky with fantasy films. This one was a bittersweet viewing for me.

I was annoyed throughout the film. My ear was itchy, the caravan-thingy they lived in was stupid, Johnny Depp was rubbish (I know, who would have guessed I'd ever be saying that) the mirror looked as good as Bigbird's impression of Julia Roberts and the graphics were childish enough not to be enjoyed by anyone looking for a serious experience and the children... Well there weren't any there and tell you the truth, I wouldn't take my kids to this either.

I would, however, take my kids to watch Brokeback Mountain. Not because I have an overwhelming need to make my kids gay, heavens no, and don't read into this because I'm not looking forward to explaining why I'm not PC. Just be quiet, will you! The reason I would take my kids to watch that film is because I want them to appreciate good acting. One of the reasons for me watching this misguided effort of a film in the first place was that Heath Ledger happens to be one of my favorite actors. How can you not like someone who apparently improvised half the comedic dialogue in this film? He made this film, without him, this would be as much to watch on the big screen as tomato soup boiling. And I don't know about you but I dislike tomato soup.

When Depp played his Tony, I was rather frustrated. The charismatic swagger of Heath had been replaced with the awkward yet warm slyness of Jack Sparrow. I won't say anything about Jude Law or Monsieur Farrell, mainly because I felt them to be trivial to the film. Kind of them to take part and extremely kind of them to give their paychecks to Matilda Ledger, but apart from the somewhat awkward fit of Farrell's badboy look for Tony's fate, I found little to be joyous for.

By the way, Lily Cole is a babe. That is all.

Now I wonder whether it would be the same film if Ledger would have finished the film. I guess it wouldn't. But it would be better. I suppose he just went to prove again that the brightest of us burn out the quickest. Heath Ledger - what a man... and what an actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment